top of page
  • Writer's pictureRedd Law, PLC

A trust is useful for avoiding probate and managing assets during and after your lifetime. However, if your only goal is to avoid probate, you might not need a trust. There are a number of ways to keep property out of probate without a trust.

  • Pay on Death: If you designate someone as a beneficiary on a financial account, the beneficiary can retrieve the funds without going through probate court.

  • Joint Ownership: Setting up a joint financial account or recording a deed with rights of survivorship allows the asset ownership to automatically transfer to the living owner upon death. However, there are a number of risks with joint ownership. For example, a creditor can file a garnishment against a joint bank account if a judgment has been entered against one of the account holders. An exception is for married couples. In Michigan, property jointly owned by married couples is protected from

  • Enhanced Life Estate (also known as Ladybird Deed): A lady bird deed allows you to fully own your home during your lifetime and transfer it automatically to the person named on the deed upon your death.

Redd Law, PLC can help you to determine if a trust or its alternatives are the best options for you. Contact us at 248-455-6383 to discuss your best plan.

11 views0 comments
  • Writer's pictureRedd Law, PLC

Redd Law, PLC is excited to offer bankruptcy clients the opportunity to submit information to our firm using Lexria. In order to file bankruptcy, clients must provide significant financial information which includes bank account statements, pay stubs, home values and more. Now our clients can easily save time and obtain the required information by visiting our Lexria link. Get started with your free bankruptcy evaluation by CLICKING HERE.

2 views0 comments
  • Writer's pictureRedd Law, PLC

Wage garnishments in Michigan used to have a 182 day expiration date regardless of whether the judgment was paid in full. Creditors had to submit a new request to the court and pay a new fee in order to have a new periodic garnishment issued. Effective September 30, 2015, MCR 3.101 provides that wage and other periodic garnishments will remain in effect until the judgment is paid in full. Individuals facing wage garnishment will still have options for stopping the garnishment such as bankruptcy and installment plans.

If you are facing a wage garnishment, contact Redd Law, PLC at (248) 455-6383 for a free initial consultation to discuss options for stopping the garnishment.

6 views0 comments
bottom of page